Friday, January 2, 2015

One Word For The New Year

Well here we are, it is now 2015. 

For many the start of a new year brings excitement, looking forward to new things, the opportunity to start over in certain areas of your life, or improve on things from last year.

We often make resolutions only to find that by the end of January we are no long keeping those resolutions.

I have decided not to make resolutions this year. It's not that I don't think I need improvements in certain areas of my life, I most certainly do. But of all the things that I could change about my life, the only thing that will bring true joy and satisfaction is a closer walk with the Lord.

Maybe you are like a lot of people who look at the new year and say, "This year I am going to finally read my Bible through in one year." or "This year I am going to do better with my quite time with the Lord." Those are great goals, but this year my goal is to focus on one word.

That's right one word!

There are all kinds of things that fill my life and fight for my attention, but the one thing I desire is to be content.

So this year I will be focusing on the word contentment. My verse for this year is Psalms 27:4, "One thing I have asked from the Lord, that I shall seek: That I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, To behold the beauty of the Lord and to meditate in His temple."

I want to learn to be content in the Lord, to chase after Him and not the "stuff" of life. I want to know Him in a deeper way than I ever have before.

So I challenge you to consider focusing on one word this year, and then search the Scriptures to see what they have to say.

No comments: