Thursday, November 5, 2009

Service with a Smile (part 2)

1 Chronicles 28:9 - "As for you, my son Solomon, know the God of your father, and serve Him with a loyal heart and with a willing mind; for the LORD searches all hearts and understands all the intent of the thoughts..." (NKJV)


A church was having a fellowship dinner one night. As things were wrapping up, some people were leaving, others were standing around talking, still other people were starting the cleaning up process. The younger children were sitting in a circle tucked away in a corner, talking and laughing.


From the doorway between the fellowship hall and the kitchen, you could hear a mother's voice holler out, "Zach, I want you to pick up all the cups and napkins off the floor." Zach was one of the young boys in the corner. His head popped up, he looked at his mother and back at his friends. "Now!", she stated. Obediently, but reluctantly, he got up and did the bidding of his mother.

Why and how do we serve the Lord? Do we serve Him because we have to? Is it an obligation or a pleasure? Are we serving out of love or duty? Am I, perhaps, doing the things I do out of a sense of guilt - a need to make up for the wrongs I have done? Is it a half-hearted obedience? Or is it with all the passion and enthusiasm I can bring out of a heart full of love and devotion for my God?

God wants us to serve Him with a loyal heart and a willing mind. Service brought on by a desire to show Him just how much I want to obey His calling, not because I have to, but because I want to.

Consider the words of a song by Bill Gaither

I will serve You because I love You,
You have given life to me.
I was nothing until You find me,
You have given life to me.
Heartaches, broken people,
Ruined lives are why you died on Calvary.
Your touch was what I longed for,
You have given life to me.

No comments: