Saturday, September 1, 2012

Endurance for Running

Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.
Hebrews 12:1-2


These verses were running through my mind this morning during my 9 mile run. Some of you know that I am training to run a marathon. As I thought of these verses this morning, I couldn't help but think of the many comparisons between physical running and spiritual running.

1. We must run unhindered.

"...let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us..."

When I decided I was going to run again, I went out and bought some really nice, light weight running shoes, some light weight running shorts and shirts. I didn't want any extra weight to slow me down while I was running. 

In our spiritual race we must make sure that we get rid of the things that slow is down and keep us from running the way God intended. That certainly involves getting rid of the sin in our lives, but it also means that anything, even "good things", which distract us from being all that God wants us to be.

2. We must have endurance.

"...let us run with endurance the race that is set before us..."

A marathon is 26.2 miles. The longest I have run in my training is 9 miles, but  if I go out and sprint the first mile, I will never be able to finish the race, not the best I can anyway. I need to slow my pace down and run to finish well.

In our spiritual race it is not about starting the race well, but finishing well. Often times when we first come to Christ we are very excited, but if we are not careful, we lose the excitement and do not finish the race well.

3. We must keep our eyes on Jesus.

"...fixing our eyes on Jesus..."

While I run, I wear a GPS watch. This helps me to know how far I have run, how long I have been running, and what pace I am running. This goes back to the endurance aspect. I am able to run and run well if I can stay on pace.

In John chapter 1 Jesus is referred to as "The Word" and in Psalms 119:105 it tells us that the Word is a "lamp" and a "light". Keeping our eyes on Jesus helps us to stay on the right path and run the right pace. 


It is important to me to run well, both physically and spiritually. 

How are you running your race?

No comments: