Friday, February 25, 2011

God's Instruction Book

Have you ever bought a new electronic devise (i.e., DVD player, Cell phone, Computer)  and after a period of time is stops working properly? What should you do? You should read the instruction book.

I remember a time when I bought a TVGuardian for our television. It's a small box that filters out bad language from television shows and movies. 

Now before I go on, you need to know something about me. I have a tendency to think I know how things work without ever reading the instructions, especially when it comes to putting things together.

So I hooked everything up and thought I had hooked it up correctly, only to find that it wasn't working properly. So I unplugged the wires are reconnected them a different way. It still did not work.

Finally I had to admit that I needed the instruction book.

Well, the Bible is God’s instruction book for our lives.

2 Timothy 3:16-17 - All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.  (NASB)

And so, when something is going wrong in our lives, why is it that the last thing we think of is to read the Bible? When, in fact, the Bible contains the instruction we need to live righteous lives.

I remember when our children were little babies, and my youngest is just 17 months, so for her it wasn’t that long ago.

I was always amazed at the listening abilities of my wife. Night after night, child after child, when one of them cried, my wife would be up in a flash. I, on the other hand, never heard a thing. I would often ask my wife, “Where are you going?” and then inevitably, I would hear the baby crying.

And I would always wonder, How does she do that? I didn't hear a thing.

Are you a good listener?



We need to be attentive to the Word of God. We need to read it, listen to it, and apply it to our lives.

No comments: