Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Holy Spirit - Your Divine Gatekeeper

I have been enjoying my study through the book of Nehemiah and have been learning so much. This week as I was studying Nehemiah chapter 7 I was reminded of something I think we all know, but don't often think about.

Nehemiah 7:1 tells us that the walls of Jerusalem have been completed and the doors to the gates have been put in place. Then is says that Nehemiah appointed gatekeepers.

As I thought about the importance of the gatekeepers to the city of Jerusalem, I was reminded that God has given every Christian a gatekeeper to their heart, the Holy Spirit.

1 Corinthians 3:16 says, Do you not know that you are a temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?

Isn't that amazing! When you got saved a Divine Gatekeeper took up residence in your heart - the Holy Spirit! This means you don't have to fight temptation in your own power.

When asked about how he responds when the devil tempts him, Martin Luther said, "When the devil comes knocking upon the door of my heart and asks, 'who lives here?' the dear Lord Jesus goes to the door and says, 'Martin Luther used to live here, but he has moved out, now I live here.' The devil, upon seeing the pierced hands takes flight."

I love the picture that brings to my mind.

1 John 4:4b says, …greater is He who is in you than he who is in the world.

The next time the devil comes knocking, let the Holy Spirit take on the devil for you!

No comments: